The Dorchester Family Support Network aims to improve the well-being and safety of families in the community through the coordination and development of comprehensive community-based family supports, including:
- Parent-Child Playgroups (for those led by FNC, click here)
- Parenting programs, workshops, support groups, and activities
- Home visiting programs, including Welcome Baby and the Parent-Child Home Program
- Resource and referral services and family advocacy work with neighborhood residents and parents.
We support parents and young children, with the goal that every parent and caregiver have the skills and knowledge they need to be leaders in their children's learning and development. The Dorchester Family Support Network has a partnership with the Department of Children and Families known as Patch, where a team of social workers is located at 200 Bowdoin Street to provide prevention services to neighborhood families in need.
Dorchester operates a Family Enrichment Site at UP Academy, 35 Westville Street, where a FES specialist is on site to work directly with families and lead parenting education.
There are many ways that you can get involved. As a caring community member or service provider, you can:
- Attend our Dorchester CARES Coalition meetings every second Wednesday of the month.
- Each One, Reach One service provider meeting every first Thursday of the month.
- Share information with others about the services available to families with young children.
- Integrate early childhood information into your program. We can provide you with materials and help!
- Volunteer at Nurturing Programs and FNC events.
- Become a Parent leader!
For more info, contact Tara Register at 857-220-2638.
Dorchester Family Support Network collaborating organizations (see website links at Community Partners):
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, Bowdoin Street Health Center, Neighborhood Trauma Team - Dorchester, UP Academy Network, Greater Four Corners Action Coalition, Ella J. Baker House, Boston Public Health Commission, Fathers' Uplift, Boston Centers for Youth & Families, Father Friendly Initiative, North Dorchester Neighborhood Coalition, Vital Village Network, Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative, Community Connections Coalitions, Boston Public Schools, The Home for Little Wanderers, Parents Helping Parents, Casa Myrna, City Connects, Department of Children & Families, All Dorchester Sports & Leadership, Grandparents Raising Grandchildren of Massachusetts, College Bound Dorchester, Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Harvard Street Neighborhood Health Center, Family Matters, Suffolk County Sheriff's Department, Propa City Community Outreach, CPLAN.
Thank you to our local businesses, Mythos Pizza, Chill on Park, Pat's Pizza, Tropical Island Restaurant, and Santo Domingo Restaurant for supporting our programs!